Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements
Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement (U.T.M.) is a Non-Destructive Testing method through which we determine, using the appropriate equipment, the corrosion wastage in solid materials. In the shipping industry, we use the Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) to monitor the corrosion wastage of the structure of the vessel during particular periods of time.
Ultrasonic Thickness Measurement (U.T.M.) requires high-level experience in the field of Non-Destructive Testing (N.D.T.). Our team consists of highly trained service engineers (Naval Architects, Marine Engineers), with long-term experience in the field of U.T.M. on hull structures. Navaltech further advances the skills of our service engineers with seminars, theoretical training courses and on-board practical training.
Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) is required by Classification Societies in particular periods of the vessel’s life in order to monitor the wastage of the structure of the hull. Our skilled service engineers are available 24/7 worldwide and can efficiently deliver the required project of Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) to the best satisfaction of our Clients and Classification Societies.
Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) are performed by our team whenever and wherever it is required, including for non-class hull surveys, pre-docking hull surveys, repair supervision or repair weight estimation.
The above non-class surveys can take place before or during drydocking, according to owner’s needs.
In addition, our qualified U.T.M. service engineers can also perform the below services.
- Repair weight estimation before drydocking for the completion of the owner’s specification.
- Repair weight estimation during drydocking for comparison with the shipyard’s calculations and charges.
- Attendance and supervision of the hull repairs (fit-up, final inspections etc).
- Mapping, Recording & Calculation of the staging (in m3) and coating area (in m2).
- Verification of the shipyard’s project completion with the “work done list” delivered from the shipyard.
All Classification Societies and ship owners require accurate measurements on the ship hull structure. Navaltech fully complies with all requirements using latest dual echo technology UTM equipment.
Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) projects, whenever and wherever they take place, require certification, especially during class surveys. Our service engineers are all certified Level II operators and attend frequent training in the office and on-board vessels.
Our Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) equipment is calibrated and maintained according to the manufacturer’s instructions and guidelines. Also, it is tested at least once a year (or more often whenever necessary) by certified, specialized, designated service stations in order to obtain the certificate of calibration.
Navaltech is certified by all IACS Classification Societies for performing Ultrasonic Thickness Measurements (U.T.M.) on vessels. Our class certificates include the following:
- Lloyds Register of Shipping (LRS)
- Det Norse Veritas (DNV)
- Nippon Kaiji Kyokai (NKK)
- American Bureau of Shipping (ABS)
- Bureau Veritas (BV)
- Registro Italiano Navale (RINA)
- Chinese Classification Society (CCS)
- Russian Maritime Register of Shipping (RMRS)
- Korean Register of Shipping (KRS)
- Indian Register of Shipping (IRS)
- Polish Register of Shipping (PRS)
- International Naval Surveys Bureau (INSB)
Find out more about our UTM services
View our Certifications
- Lloyd’s Register (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- DNV (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- NKK (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- ABS (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- BV (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- RINA (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- CCS (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- RMRS (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- INSB (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- KRS (LIFEBOATS / UTM)
- IRS (LIFEBOATS / UTM)
MAKER APPROVED FOR LIFEBOATS , LAUNCHING APPLIANCES AND RELEASE GEARS
- Fassmer - Marland Ltd. / Hai Hong Boat Making Co Ltd.
- Qingdao Beihai HeavyShipbuilding Industry Co Ltd.
- Jiangsu Jiaoyan Marine Equipment Co. Ltd / Jiangyin Xinjiang F.R.P.Co.,Ltd.
- Jiangyinshi Beihai LSA Co.,Ltd.
- Sangsangin Industry Co. Ltd./ ex-Dongnam Marine Crane Co. Ltd.
- Oriental Precision & Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Wuxi Hai Hong Boat Making Co. Ltd.
- HXN (ZhejiangHengxin Ship Equipment Co., Ltd).
- DSB Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Wuxi Huahai Marine Equipment Factory.
- Wuxi Wenjiao G.F.R.P. Factory.
- Wuxi Dongwu.
- Wuxi Mingzi Machinery Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (Release gears –Hooks).
- Zhenjiang Marine Auxiliary,
- GEPA-Fiberglass Industry & Trade Co.Inc.
- Stoczna USTKA - Lifeboats & Launching Appliances,
- NOR-MAR FAR EAST Services,
- Jiangyin Neptune MarineAppliances Co. Ltd.
- Jiangyin Wolong FRP Boat Co. Ltd.
- Gurdesan Lifesaving systems.
- Jiangsu Huaiyin Marine Machinery (Lifeboats, Release Gear & Launching Appliances)
- Wuxi XingSheng (Release Mechanisms)
- Shin Myung Tech
- Lalizas (Release Mechanisms)
- Narwhal (Rescue Boats)
FLAG APPROVED FOR LIFEBOATS , LAUNCHING APPLIANCES AND RELEASE GEARS