Brake Hold Capacity Test of Mooring Winches
One of the most crucial inspections carried out onboard ships is the mooring winch brake test. Winches are critical equipment onboard ships and it is essential to monitor their performance. In particular, an important performance criteria of any winch is its brake, and hence the need for the mooring winch brake testing.
The winch brake ensures that the winch holds the drum (and consequently the mooring rope) in its position so that the moorings are kept sufficiently tight. The brake’s ‘rendering’ function ensures that the mooring line sheds its load before it parts (through slipping of the drum), in the event of excessive stress.
The Brake Holding Capacity is the Maximum Capacity of the mooring winch brake to hold the mooring drum in its position when under tension. Technically, Brake Holding Capacity of a winch is 80% of the Minimum Breaking Load of the Mooring Rope. However, it is set at 60% of the Minimum Breaking Load, allowing a 20% margin for safety (OCIMF guidelines). Above 60%, the brake renders. To determine the Brake Rendering Capacity of the winch, a procedure called Brake Testing is carried out.
Navaltech offers immediate availability and attendance of service engineers in order to perform a Brake Holding Capacity Test with our fully certified and calibrated equipment.
Navaltech’s team members have all the necessary experience, knowledge and qualifications in order to carry out the Winch Brake Test. All our service engineers have numerous years of experience in the field of the specific test and they are continually trained. In addition, Navaltech is equipped with the appropriate hydraulic pump for the winch brake tests.
Our team of highly trained and experienced service engineers is available 24/7 worldwide and can efficiently deliver the required project and ensure full satisfaction of our Clients and Classification Societies. Reliability is a key goal and value for our company, thus, we always make sure that there is constant availability of service engineers so as to undertake urgent requests at any time.
View our Certifications
- Lloyd’s Register (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- DNV (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- NKK (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- ABS (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- BV (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- RINA (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- CCS (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- RMRS (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- INSB (LIFEBOATS / UTM / FFE / LSA)
- KRS (LIFEBOATS / UTM)
- IRS (LIFEBOATS / UTM)
MAKER APPROVED FOR LIFEBOATS , LAUNCHING APPLIANCES AND RELEASE GEARS
- Fassmer - Marland Ltd. / Hai Hong Boat Making Co Ltd.
- Qingdao Beihai HeavyShipbuilding Industry Co Ltd.
- Jiangsu Jiaoyan Marine Equipment Co. Ltd / Jiangyin Xinjiang F.R.P.Co.,Ltd.
- Jiangyinshi Beihai LSA Co.,Ltd.
- Sangsangin Industry Co. Ltd./ ex-Dongnam Marine Crane Co. Ltd.
- Oriental Precision & Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Wuxi Hai Hong Boat Making Co. Ltd.
- HXN (ZhejiangHengxin Ship Equipment Co., Ltd).
- DSB Engineering Co., Ltd.
- Wuxi Huahai Marine Equipment Factory.
- Wuxi Wenjiao G.F.R.P. Factory.
- Wuxi Dongwu.
- Wuxi Mingzi Machinery Manufacturing Co. Ltd. (Release gears –Hooks).
- Zhenjiang Marine Auxiliary,
- GEPA-Fiberglass Industry & Trade Co.Inc.
- Stoczna USTKA - Lifeboats & Launching Appliances,
- NOR-MAR FAR EAST Services,
- Jiangyin Neptune MarineAppliances Co. Ltd.
- Jiangyin Wolong FRP Boat Co. Ltd.
- Gurdesan Lifesaving systems.
- Jiangsu Huaiyin Marine Machinery (Lifeboats, Release Gear & Launching Appliances)
- Wuxi XingSheng (Release Mechanisms)
- Shin Myung Tech
- Lalizas (Release Mechanisms)
- Narwhal (Rescue Boats)
FLAG APPROVED FOR LIFEBOATS , LAUNCHING APPLIANCES AND RELEASE GEARS